Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Excellent GF Pizza Crust


I originally stumbled upon this recipe on the without.com website and can no longer find it on line. But I hope you give it a try if you want to make GF crust that really imitates wheat flour in consistency and flavor. I use a Kitchen-aid stand mixer.

GF Pizza Crust

4 c brown rice flour
3 c tapioca flour
1/2 c dry milk (I don't include this- still tastes fine)
6 T yeast
4 T xanthan gum
2 T unflavored gelatin
2 T Italian seasoning (I used 1/2 basil and 1/2 oregano instead)
1 tsp salt

Mix dry ingredients on low.

4 c warm water
2 T honey
2 T olive oil
2 T cider vinegar

Add liquid ingredients. Mix on low until combined, then on high for 3 minutes.
If mixer seems to struggle or bounce add water 1 tbs at a time until it runs smoothly.

Press into pan of choice by using very generous sprinkling of rice flour. Very generous. You want the flour sprinkled thickly enough so that dough does not stick to your fingers at all. Press in lightly and leave dough plenty thick. I use this sized batch for one 12" pizza and 6 individual; or one 12" and one jelly role sized pan; or three 12" pans if the crusts are a bit thinner. The
'GF-ness" is more noticeable on the thinner ones.

The original recipe suggests pre-baking at 425 for 10 minutes then add toppings and bake for 20-25 minutes more. I have never pre-baked mine.

No comments: