Thursday, January 13, 2011

Crock Pot Mustard Pork Roast wtih Cabbage

For those of you haven't heard of Stephanie O'Dell, she in 2008, committed to posting a crock pot recipe each day for the entire year.  And she did it!  But the best thing for those who have to avoid wheat or gluten, is that almost all of her recipes are Gluten Free.  I think maybe only one or two of the entire year's recipes are not.  Because of this blogging feat, she has become a popular guest on daytime talk and cooking shows and she now has published her second crock pot cookbook.  Again, Gluten Free.  She includes recipes for beverages, baked goods, main dishes, specialty foods and even a few non-food novelty items.

Yesterday I made supper based on one of her recipes, Sweet Mustard Roast for Beef or Pork.  It turned out really good.

I linked the original, but I'll share what I did, since, of course, I rarely follow a recipe exactly.  And as usually, all seasoning amounts are estimates.  Sorry.  I just pour into my hand the amount that looks good.  Use your own judgment.

Crock Pot Mustard Pork and Cabbage Recipe

1 small head of cabbage, sliced into largish chunks
2 large carrots, cut into sticks
1 large onion, slices

Put into the bottom of a 6 qt crock pot

Sprinkle liberally with caraway seeds.

1 T salt
1/2 t pepper
1/2 T garlic powder

Combine and rub on 4-5 lb pork roast.

1/2 c mustard
1/2 c honey
2 T vinegar

Pour over roast.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours (I got mine going late; I cooked it on high for 2 hours and then low for 5-6; it was wonderfully tender.)

I served mine with steamed, buttered, slightly sweetened, sweet potatoes.

No comments: