Friday, February 10, 2012

That's Good, That's Bad

Did any of you ever read That's Good, That's Bad, by Joan Lexau, as a child?  It is a book that stands out in my mind from my early childhood and Weekly Reader days.  It tells the story of a jungle boy who at the start of the story is taking a walk in the jungle.  In turn, he gets pursued and then makes an escape from various jungle animals.  As the narration progresses, each of these events is followed by either a, "That's good," or, "That's bad," depending upon whether the boy is being pursued or making an escape.

I feel kind of like that today.

Lately I've had so very many things weighing on my mind, about which I'm trying not to obsess and wrest control from God. 
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.  Philipians 4:6-7
Last nigh something big transpired that brought me a modicum of peace and comfort.  That's good.
Call upon Me in the day of trouble;
I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me.  Psalm 50:15
But then one of daughters confessed to me some mischief she had been about, and some unintended results of that mischief.  This brought me a modicum of angst.  That's bad.
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”  Matthew 11:28-30.
And so things go in this temporal life.  God blesses us in some obvious way.  That's good.  We have troubles.  We worry.  That's bad.

We remember the promises of God's presence with us and His provision.  That's good.

We sin and need God's forgiveness.  That's bad.

We are given such forgiveness through Jesus.  In the Word of God.  Through our Baptism.  Through Holy Communion.  Through Confession and Absolution.  That's good.

We have the promises God's grace and forgiveness to give us eternal peace and comfort.  That's good. 

That's very good.

No comments: