Sunday, November 25, 2007

Can I please see some ID?

Remember when it used to feel like an insult to be carded when purchasing adult beverages? About five years ago I stopped getting carded. It happened quite suddenly. I always kind of felt like saying, "Do you need to see some ID? Really, I don't mind."

Yesterday I picked up some Killian's Red in Wal-Mart. I was busy filling in my check and the check-out lady asked me something. I kind of tuned in just as she said, "...27 years old." Really, I just didn't hear what she said, so I looked at her a minute trying to recall what she might have been saying. But I must have had a dazed expression on my face because she said, "Nevermind," and that by the look on my face she could tell that her question surprised me.

Joe proceeded to clarify for me that she had said that she needed to see my ID since she didn't know whether I was over 27. (I don't know if this is the Wal-Mart policy or a state or national law, but apparently they must card anyone who looks younger than 27.)

Tasha, a gal who grew up near here, was behind us in line. We were all laughing by that time. Tasha commented to the Wal-Mart employee something about my nine children. I added that I have recently passed my 40th birthday.

The poor woman seemed very embarrassed, but I told her she made my day. It's been a long time since I was carded.

No comments: