Saturday, November 3, 2007

Easy Recipe

Any recipe that is easy appeals to me. But here's one I really like. And when I remember to prep it in time I use it quite a bit.

Crock Pot Refried Beans (I use my 5 qt crock pot)

6 c dried beans, sorted and rinsed
12 c water
One large onion, finely diced
2 pkgs taco seasoning mix

Put in crock pot on low overnight. Continue to cook throughout the next day, stirring occasionally. Add water if they seem dry. About mid-afternoon mash with a potato masher. They are now ready to serve. I usually turn them off at this time since they retain a lot of heat. If they are too runny prop up the lid of the crock pot and continue cooking until desired consistency.

This recipe makes enough for our family of eleven to eat for at least three meals. I usually use them for one meal and then freeze the rest in two in large cool whip containers. Sometimes there is a bit more left for current use. I would guess it makes maybe maybe about 8 -10 of the regular sized cans.

We wrap this in tortillas with cheese for burritos. You can make these ahead of time and freeze them. We eat the beans with tacos. We use them for chip dip. I put them in hotdish. And as a dinner time side dish.

Cheap and tasty.

No comments: