Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Guilty Pleasure Films on MPR's Midday

While I was running errands last Friday, I tuned in to public radio and was treated to some very fun radio fare. Minnesota Public Radio's Movie Maven, Stephanie Curtis, joined the show to talk about Guilty Pleasure Films.  She defined those as films we love to watch, so much so we'd drop almost anything to do it; we could watch them any number of times and never tire of them; and they are the kind of film we might be embarrassed to admit we love.

It's worth your time while doing dishes or laundry, or whatever, to give the show a listen using the above link.  (One of the great things about public radio is that many of their shows are available to listen to on-line, so you can do fact-checking later, or finish a show you only heard part of, or re-listen to something that was especially good.)

Ms Curtis's five favorite Guilty Pleasure Films: The Spanish Main, Footloose, Enough, How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days, and Urban Cowboy.

Besides Ms Curtis's choices, listeners shared their Guilty Pleasures Films, and the Movie Maven and show host Gary Eichten commented on the various films mentioned.  I had heard of relatively few of them, but really enjoyed the descriptions and the comments.  I found myself laughing out loud at some spots.  Good thing I was driving along typically unoccupied stretches of highway, or other drivers may have thought me a bit touched.
What are your Guilty Pleasure Films?


I'll confess my Guilty Pleasure Film.  But first a little statement insurance.  I'm not a really big move watcher, so I don't have too extensive a repertoire.  And probably my ideas of guilty or embarrassing might differ from the general populace.  But I have to say that When Harry Met Sally is one of my all time favorite films.  I love it for the humor, Harry's and Sally's growth as the movie progresses, the sweetness, and I even totally get the underlying idea that it's difficult (impossible?) for men and women to be friends.

So why the guilt or embarrassment?  At the end, when they..., well..., you know... When I can't whole heartedly share a favorite film with my kids, I have to consider it guilty.  Is this overly sensitive?  Or common sense?  I did finally check it out at the library a few months ago.  I hadn't seen it for years, and was kind of craving seeing it again.   I still really enjoyed it.  Maybe even more than before.  And I could even almost justify the pleasure by saying, "Yes, they may have..., well..., you know..., but they suffered for it; it nearly ruined their friendship.  It shows that the well..., you know..., is not something to be used to ease pain or to be taken lightly."  I could probably have made a life lesson out of it.  But I didn't.  I watched it alone.  It was my late night treat one evening while waiting to pick Matt up after a track meet.

To bring the post back around to the MPR show, by the time it was over, I had accumulated quite an extensive list of films to request from the library.  Since the library was the second stop on my  day's junket, I made a mental note regarding a few of the movies, hopeful I'd remember enough to find them in the library catalogue.  Of course by the time I got there, most of my mental notes had hidden away in the dark recesses of my mind.  Not to worry, however.  Google is a wonderful thing.  I remembered just enough to search for, "documentary, Kennedy, garden, sisters," and found Grey Gardens, a documentary film about two reclusive relatives of Jackie Kennedy Onassis, that sounds very fun.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that Grey Gardens was available at several of the libraries in our regional catalogue system.  I see now, with a quick check to my online account that it is in transit from Moorhead, and should be available for me to pick up in Red Lake Falls on Thursday, my library day.  Can you tell I love libraries, too?

Now all I have to do is find time before Thursday to finish watching Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South, which my librarian has kindly renewed for me about five times.

No comments: