Saturday, March 31, 2012

GF Date Cake

For a dessert, this cake can't be beat served warm and topped with a dollop of freshly whipped cream.

For a simple and yummy breakfast cake, I mix my dry ingredients the night before and soak the dates overnight.  I also leave a post-it note on the lid of the storage container noting the few remaining ingredient I have to remember in the morning.  Then, even through my morning fog, I can still pull off a good breakfast for the kids.

I often have one of the kids make up a dry mix on the weekend, as part of their weekend chores, and it's ready for use whenever I need it.

When I use it for breakfast, I also cut the sugar to one cup.  It's really good with the full amount; but no matter how tasty, we probably don't need a dessert for breakfast.

GF Date Cake
  • 3 c GF flour blend (I use the Bronski's Artisan blend)
  • 1 c almond meal
  • 1 1/2 c sugar (I use evaporated cane juice crystals)
  • 4 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/2 c coconut oil
  • 1/2 c butter
Mix dry ingredients together and cut in fats.  If you are premixing it, you can cover and label at this point.
  • 1 1/2 c snipped dates
  • 1 c boiling water
Combine and let soak at least an hour, or overnight.
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 tsp vanilla
Mix all together and pour into greased cake pan.  I use a 10x15" pan and bake it for about 35 minutes at 350F.

If you use the standard 9x13" cake pan, you will have to tweak it.  I suspect one 9x13 will be very full and may not bake well.  But you could try it and see, just adding baking time to account for the extra thickness.  Or use a 9x13" plus either a 9x9"  or 9" round; or even two 9x13" pans.  Or cut the recipe by 1/4 or so.  But that takes an awful lot of thought;  you're on your own there.

No comments: