Wednesday, August 29, 2012

On the Use of Tickers, Motivation, and other Nonsense

I got to move my ticker again today.  Probably nobody would notice the difference, since the change was only 0.4 pounds.  But when that 0.4 lbs is a downward change, I'll take it.  If, on the other hand, the change is upward, it has to be a change for at least two weeks and of at least two pounds before I figure I have to move it.  Silly isn't it?

Normal weight fluctuates.  I would guess that probably a plus or minus two pound variation is within normal for most people.  But even so, I get to move my ticker down, if the weight goes down.  If it goes up, I figure it's just normal fluctuation,so I don't have to move it right away.  See how that works?

All told, since we walking buddies started weighing ourselves in the early spring, I've lost 18 pounds.  But most of that was weight I had gained since last fall.  That's a frightening amount of weight to put on in a few short months, is it not? 

I'm thankful it came off quickly.  I attribute it to my struggle with depression during that same time.  I simply was not moving.  Apparently even my normal pathetic attempts at keeping up with the house burns enough calories to moderate my weight.  Because when I stopped doing that, the weight started accumulating. 

And the converse is true, too.  Even the slow, baby step things I've been accomplishing around the house have allowed me to easily and rapidly shed the pounds.

I do like to move that ticker. 

The current ticker does not show the full amount of weight loss.  Again, it's a motivational thing.  Baby steps.  A few short goals at a time.  I didn't even start using the ticker until I could see that I was making progress.  The last thing I needed is to have this motivational ticker and never get to move it! 

I'm sure that they don't work for everyone, but for me, for now, the ticker is helping.  I really like to move that little apple along its little flowered path.  I find I am able to turn down many treats and indulgences during the course of a week, that in the hopes that I get to move the little apple a little bit further along its way.

I am kind of blathering about nothing today.  But I was excited even for that small downward movement.  We all have to figure out what helps us stay motivated for any kind of goal we have.  What works for me, may not work for another. 

But if you are pleased by pretty little things, give one a try.  There are many sites and many designs from which to choose.

No comments: