Thursday, August 2, 2012

Very Cool Blessing: God is your Refuge and His everlasting arms are beaneath you

Your sandals shall be iron and bronze;
As your days, so shall your strength be.
There is no one like the God of Jeshurun,
Who rides the heavens to help you,
And in His excellency on the clouds. 

The eternal God is your refuge,
And underneath are the everlasting arms;
He will thrust out the enemy from before you,
And will say, ‘Destroy!’
Deuteronomy 33:25-27

I was looking for a certain Bible passage this morning; I don't even recall anymore what particular one I was seeking.  But instead of finding that which I sought, I found this gem of a passage.  It's part of the blessing with which God through Moses blessed the children of Israel near the end of Moses's life.  The whole of the blessing is rich with vivid imagery, so take a moment sometime to read it in its entirety. 

The section I quoted above is from God's blessing to Asher.

I had to look up Jeshurun, because I didn't know what it meant.  It apparently means upright ones, so the God of Jeshurun is the God of the upright ones.  All God's children are upright ones through Jesus.

The following is my favorite image.  Just think of it.  The Eternal God is my refuge.  His everlasting arms are beneath me.  I love that. 

The eternal God is your refuge,
And underneath are the everlasting arms.

Perhaps this is a piece of unnecessary statement insurance, but my husband is a stickler regarding Biblical context, so I better include the following explanation.  I do realize this blessing was to the tribe of Asher, and not to me and to the church universal.  But the attributes of God are universal.  I know from other passages of Scripture that God is my refuge, and that He is always with me, supporting me constantly.  So I'm going to forge ahead and grasp this metaphor for my own, at the risk of making certain theologians roll their eyes.  The eternal God is my refuge.  His everlasting arms are underneath me, holding me up as I go through each day.  Amen.

No comments: