Monday, September 16, 2013

Taco Seasoning Mix

This mix is salt free.  I season to taste as I cook. 

I've never tried to figure out how much salt to add to the recipe in order to make it "right," but when others have asked, I've calculated that maybe the 1/2 cup that would fill the jar would be about right.  This is based on an estimate of about1 tsp salt/pound of meat.

Taco Seasoning Mix
1 c chili powder
3/4 + c paprika
3/4 c cumin
1/2 c onion powder
1/3 c garlic powder
1/8 c cayenne or other pepper power (adjust to taste, depending upon variety of pepper)

Mix together and store in a quart jar.  Use 1/8 c for every pound of meat, or taco seasoning packet called for in a recipe.

Tip 1:  If you inadvertently get steam in your jar while measuring, a few grains (scant tsp) of dry white rice will help the mix from sticking together. 

Tip 2:  I labeled my jar with a piece of wide masking tape.  I wrote the name, "Taco Seasoning Mix" on the top with a sharpie, but I also wrote the recipe on the tape, too, with a ball point pen.  Then when I need to replenish my stock, I don't need to look up the recipe.

No comments: