Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Trouble Commenting on Some Blogs

I just figured something out. Really, Joe figured it out. He came in when I was on the cusp of the solution, though.

First the problem: There are some people upon whose blogs I am unable to leave comments. Those are the blogs that use the drop-down menu when a commenter tries to identify him 0r herself. So, if anyone has had readers say they cannot leave messages, and if you have this kind of comment form, read on.

I don't know why this happens. Apparently there is a way for such a blogger to re-build his or her layout. This is the cusp upon which I was when my husband came in and rescued me. I was at a loss to even understand any of the helpful things the folks at the blogger help forum were saying. I have the impression the problem has something to do with the firefox browser maybe? And I really didn't understand any of the directions for re-building my layout.

But alas, for anybloggers who, like me, are technologically stunted, there is a very, very easy thing to change on your blog that will enable all readers to leave messages. I am going to use the tech-illiterate directions, so if you are a savvy user, you won't want to bother with this. Just find your own answer.
  1. Go to your dashboard.
  2. Click on the settings tab.
  3. Click on the comments tab.
  4. Scroll down to the "Comment Form Placement" section. Mostly likely the "embedded below post" button is highlighted. Click either of the other two. The "full page" button will give your readers buttons on the comment form, from which to choose their identities. The "pop-up window" button will give your readers a pop-up window comment form, again with the buttons to identify themself.
  5. Don't forget to save at the very bottom of the page.
You're all set. Now you can all find out what I think of your blog. Aren't you excited?

No comments: