Monday, December 7, 2009

Quote from Vonnegut

I'm currently reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. I've never read any Vonnegut. It is a new and somewhat strange experience. I took up the reading because my son, Jeremy, has to read this book for his HS English class. I don't read everything my kids have to read for school, but I do try to at least read a sampling. It gives me a launching off point for some commonality for conversation during these foreign teenage years.

I'm withholding judgment on the book as a whole. It is strange, is all I will say at this point. But Mr. Vonnegut does have a knack for metaphor. Here is one that appealed to me.
"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

2 comments:

J. Jacobsen said...

He was the author and this was the short story I was telling you about during your visit this summer. The story demonstrates the absurdity of that politically-correct requirement of "equality."

theMom said...

Thanks Jesse.

I cut and pasted the story into a text file and printed it up to read later. When I try to read anything of length on the computer, I feel like I have some sort of little noise going off in my head every few minutes...

Was Vonnegut one of the authors of whom you have the entire collection upon your bookshelves?