Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Venison Paprikash

14 small venison cutlets
10 oz chorizo
1 cube butter
2 medium small onions, sliced
1 small apple, sliced
handful of raisins
small handful dried parsley leaves*
salt
1/2 cup sour cream

*The parsley is home grown, and dried as leaves. Not crushed. I don't know what it would be crumbled, but perhaps a tablespoon.

Melt the butter in large skillet. Squeeze chorizo into pan and break up a bit with a spatula. Line bottom of pan with venison. Kind of distribute the chorizo into chunks between the cutlets as you go. Sprinkle meat lightly with salt.

Brown one side of meat and then turn. Sprinkle on the sliced onions and apples, the raisins, and the parsley. Cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until cutlets are tender, turning once near the end of cooking time. Add a small amount of liquid if needed during simmering.

Remove cutlets from pan and lay in shallow serving dish or deep platter. Mix sour cream into pan drippings. Pour over venison.

Serves 8-10.

Note: In case you are wondering about the lack of paprika in the paprikash...My husband said, "Where's the paprika?" I said, "It tasted like paprika. I was describing the taste not the ingredients." Joe pulled out another roll of chorizo from the fridge and read the ingredients. "I guess paprika is the main spice in chorizo. Venison Paprikash if fine."

2 comments:

Erica J said...

"Waiter, there is too much pepper on my paprikash, but I would be proud to partake of your pecan pie."

theMom said...

Haha! That's funny, I confess, I had to google the quote. It's been years since I saw that movie. It's one of those I really liked, but was always a bit embarrassed by the, uh, "you know" scene. Perhaps I'll have to get it from the library and just skip over that part.

All in the name of cultural literacy, of course...