Gluten Free Chocolate Snack Cake
2 c gluten free flour mix*
1 c almond meal
1 3/4 c sugar
1/2 c cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 t baking soda
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 c coconut oil
1 1/3 c water (approximately) **
1 tsp vanilla
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Work in coconut oil until mixture resembles course crumbs.
- Make a well in the center and add eggs. Mix them a bit with a wisk.
- Add vanilla and water, leaving a little bit to add after mixing. Add additional water to produce a batter that is about the consistency of pancake batter; it should pour into the pan and spread on its own without having to spread it with a scraper. (see notes below at the **)
- Pour into greased 9x13" pan.
Cool on wire rack.
*I use Kelli and Pete Bronski's Artisan Gluten-Free Flour Blend. This mix has a very small amount of xanthan gum already in it. If your flour blend contains no xanthan gum, you may need to add a little bit more than I did. If it contains enough xanthan gum for, say, biscuits or pancakes, you may not need to add any.
**Because of the wide variety of Gluten Free flours available, and the ensuing differences in how liquids are absorbed, it's always hard to give an exact amount of liquid to use. This recipe seemed very runny when I put it in the oven, but it came out great. Soft and light inside, with a little bit of crispiness to the top. Use your own judgement, and experiment to find the right amount of liquid for the flour mix you prefer.