Sunday, September 20, 2009

Rhubarb Muffins

I don't do much Glutinous baking these days. Since Joe must eat gluten free and any kind of scooping or pouring or stirring can waft flour dust around the house, it's just easier for me to bake everything Gluten Free. That said, I made muffins to take to church this morning. They turned out especially well, so I thought I'd share the recipe.

I should have used less batter per muffin, however, as they did spread all over the top of the muffin pan. They were not much to look at, but sure tasted good. The originally recipe called for the muffin cups to be 3/4 full, so I've changed it to 2/3, but even half might be neater. I also changed the number the recipe makes from 18 to 24 to account for that.

I used frozen rhubarb and thawed and drained it before using. I suppose one could use it directly from the freezer and then cut down the amount of milk, but I haven't tried this, so you'll have to guess.

And, yes, I know I ought to include a picture. Imagine a golden, crusty top with moist, fruit-flavored texture within.
Rhubarb Muffins or Bread

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Mix together in small bowl, set aside.

1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
Whip together until fluffy.

1 egg
Mix into butter and sugar, whip until fluffy.

1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla

Add and mix well.
Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix gently.

2 cups chopped rhubarb
Mix in gently.

TOPPING:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter, softened
Mix sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter.

Spoon into greased or paper-lined muffin tins, filling 2/3 full, or spoon into 2 greased 8" x 4" loaf pans.
Sprinkle topping over batter.
Bake at 350F for 20-25 min for muffins, or 40-45 min for loaves, or until cake tester comes out clean.
Let cool in pans 10 min before removing. Makes 24 muffins or 2 loaves.

No comments: