Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hills and Valleys

I've mentioned before on this blog that the region in which I live now is quite flat compared to where I grew up.  Sometimes I miss the more varied topography.
View of Cascades from Wenatchee Valley
I was talking about this subject over the weekend with a friend.  Then the next day, my cousin Cheryl who lives only a few blocks from my folks, posted a picture of the view from her home.  At least I am assuming it's from her home.  The view is very similar to the view from Mom and Dad's house.  This view is from East Wenatchee, looking west across the Columbia River Valley with the Cascade Mountains towering above.  I always have to take a few deep breaths and ponder the majesty of God when I'm home.

I didn't grow up in Wenatchee, where my parents currently live.  I grew up on the west side of the Cascades, in the Tacoma and Puyallup area. The view in this picture is very similar to the view I saw most days on the way home from school.
Mr Rainier from Puget Sound Area
Another interesting thing is the hills in the big port cities on Puget Sound, Tacoma and Seattle.  Seattle was famous for it's seven hills, some of which have been flattened.  It is still very hilly.  Local residents might refer to Denny Hill, or Magnolia Heights or Queen Anne Hill when giving directions or to refer to certain neighborhoods.  I couldn't find a good picture of the Seattle Hills, so I took the liberty of including a picture of the Seattle Skyline, just because it's so pretty.
Seattle Skyline at Night
We used to love when we occasionally had to go downtown in Tacoma.  The hills there are steep enough that a building's front door may be on the first floor, a side door on the second or third and a door at the other end of the city block might be on the third or even fourth floor.  The hills seem to go up at almost 45 degrees (would that be a 100% grade? not possible maybe, but it sure seems that way in my imagination), then the hills level off for the next intersection and then head upward once again.  Someone standing at the bottom would see a series of hills, alternating with level spots for the cross streets, and then more hill.  Up and up.  It was a special treat to have errands to run on one of those side streets.  "Whoop-de-whoop-de-whoop!"

Luzon Building, Tacoma, Washington
I couldn't find a good image of the hills, but this picture of an old building gives an idea of the variety of levels a building might have.  Someone living in Tacoma definitely wants a fully functioning emergency break in his or her vehicle.

Puyallup Valley Daffodils
For a closing thought and a couple more pictures, Puyallup claims to be the daffodil capital of the world.  I don't know how true that is, but they have a big daffodil festival each spring, complete with Daffodil Princess and court, a big parade and I don't know what all.  At least one grower used to export tulip and daffodil bulbs to Holland.  I know this because one summer I worked for the Van Lierop Bulb Farm.

Puyallup Valley Tulips
And yes, lest anyone comment, the Puyallup valley is very flat.  But as you can see from the pictures, there is an end to the flat.  It is surrounded by hills and mountains.

Unlike northwestern Minnesota.

No comments: