Thursday, March 24, 2011

Sausage and Clam Chowder

Sausage and Clam Chowder
  • 2 lb sausage of choice (I used a pound each of Italian and breakfast sausages)
Brown in bottom of stock pot, stirring occasionally to break up into small pieces.

Remove from pot with slotted spoon, leaving juices in bottom of pot.
  • 8 medium potatoes, cut into 1" chunks
  • 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2" chunks
  • 2 stalks celery, finely diced 
  • 1/2 large onion, finely diced
Stir into juices in stock pot.  Cover and cook on medium heat until veggies start to soften.

Add liquid to just cover veggies and simmer until they reach desired softness.  If you want chunkier chowder, don't cook as long.  Water is fine for liquid, but if you have any homemade vegetable or meat stock, that's even better. I used some beef bone broth concentrate, an 8 oz jar of clam juice, and water.

When veggies are soft, break up with potato masher or immersion blender.  I like my soup less chunky, so my veggies are nearly pureed by the time I'm done with this step.
  • 1 can corn, drained
  • 2  6.5 oz cans clam pieces, with liquid
  • 1 qt heavy whipping cream
  •  enough milk to thin to desired consistency ( I think I used about 3 cups).
  • Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.  (I used about 1 1/2 tbs salt and 3/4 tsp pepper, but this will very depending upon the liquid in which you simmer your veggies.)
Add to pot and heat to just below simmering.

Makes about 2 gallons.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: